Choosing workflow software does not have to be a process of trial and error. Knowing which features to look for can make it easier to select the right software solutions for any enterprise.
Learn which factors to consider when comparing workflow apps, including compatibility with current hardware and legacy software. Keeping a few key factors in mind can enable decision-makers to choose the right workflow software the first time around.
The Workflow Application Functionality You Need
It is important to select workflow software that provides functionality that fits your enterprise. While document management software could meet all of the needs of some small businesses, larger and more complex enterprises can benefit from implementing a robust workflow program. Stakeholders should seek out software that has the following features:
- Approval process alerts: Almost every enterprise can optimize approval processes by alerting the necessary parties to the need for manual input or review.
- Code-free automation: The leading workflow applications offer nontechnical users the ability to automate aspects of workflows, from auto-filling forms to setting up triggers and responses or schedules for tasks and processes.
- Cloud and offline access: Authorized employees can use cloud-connected workflow software anywhere with an internet connection, while offline access simplifies workflows in the field where internet connections may not be available.
- Document distribution functions: Workflow software makes sharing documents with stakeholders easier through access, permission and version control.
- Signature collection capabilities: The right workflow management application for enterprises can also accelerate the process of obtaining legally binding signatures on documents.
A preliminary step toward selecting and setting up workflow management software involves breaking down the workflow of an enterprise into a series of tasks and processes. Matching real workflows with the solutions that applications provide can help to narrow the available workflow applications to the best software for an enterprise.
Workflow Application Platform Compatibility With Legacy Systems
The compatibility of workflow software with the systems that are currently in use can be a decisive consideration. It is important to make sure an application works with hardware and software in offices and the field. In most cases, enterprises that make the switch to a new workflow management solution do not also want to switch computers and devices.
Decision-makers can control the steepness of learning curves by selecting software that works on systems that are currently in place.
It is possible to find workflow software that runs on Mac computers and iOS devices and operating systems or software as well as computers running Microsoft Windows and Android devices. For example, Fluix offers solution for enterprises running Apple hardware and software. It can also work alongside a wide variety of bookkeeping, customer relationship management and document management applications.
Automation-ready workflow management software can be used to set up tasks to occur automatically in the platform itself or across other software platforms. Fluix stands out for its code-free TaskStream functionality to easily build workflows. This application also allows enterprises to experiment with robotic process automation, or setting up bots to perform repetitive tasks on the user interface level of software.
Mobile Workflow App Availability and Compatibility
The most useful workflow software is compatible with the mobile devices employees use for work. Fluix enables users to annotate PDF forms and capture signatures on iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones.
Office and field staff can achieve maximum productivity when remote cloud and offline access support the mobile functionality of an app. The ability to access documents offline, fill out forms and arrange for these forms to be uploaded as soon as an internet connection is restored make apps that optimize workflows easier for all employees to use.
A workflow program should be compatible with the office computers and any tablets or smartphones used in the field. Make sure that any software you are considering works with legacy systems and current hardware, or develop a more comprehensive plan to upgrade systems.
The Leading Workflow Process App Features
The leading workflow applications share many of the same features. The best apps are set apart by relative ease of use, though integration and training are helpful for using any workflow app. Here are a few features to look for when comparing workflow software:
- Automate tasks and processes: Workflow software should provide practical automation capabilities without the need for coding. Fluix simplifies automation with a user-friendly TaskStream interface and can also support robotic process automation.
- Centralize data and documents: The right workflow software should centralize all of the other systems in use at an enterprise. Look for software that is compatible with leading applications and can also be customized.
- Provide secure and reliable access: Comprehensive workflow process software often includes data and document management functionality. Fluix can be set up to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation in the European Union and other security standards.
- Digitize and optimize workflows: The primary purpose of workflow software is to digitize workflows and reduce the amount of time spent on time-consuming, repetitive tasks that are good candidates for automation. Fluix can help an enterprise reduce paperwork or become paperless.
- Demonstrate regulatory compliance: Documentation completed by employees and standards that apply organization-wide can be monitored and maintained through workflow software. Fluix offers solutions for enterprises in heavily regulated industries such as construction, engineering, field services, healthcare, renewable energy and utilities.
Workflow software can be a game changer for keeping track of data, controlling access and maintaining audit trails for digital workflows. The records this software generates not only serve as proof for purposes of external accountability but can also be used in internal audits to direct further optimization.
The Benefits of Using Application Workflow Software
Enterprises that run on workflow software can account for every aspect of operations in a single centralized system. The ability to do so makes it less likely that any important data or documents will become or stay siloed.
Siloed data that remains stuck on a particular platform that is not integrated with the rest of the software and systems in use could pose a problem if this data could have valuable applications if it were readily available on other platforms. Data specific to particular applications can stay intact as long as the role of each program has been defined in workflow software.
Taking the right approach to implementing a workflow management system can improve the efficiency of every aspect of operations. The setup process entails breaking down processes into tasks and either automating or assigning these tasks to human employees. This option is the main reason a growing number of enterprises of all sizes license workflow software.
How To Implement a Workflow Application
Successful implementations often involve collaboration between stakeholders, information technology professionals and support specialists. During this process, many enterprises identify tasks or processes that are good candidates for partial or full automation. The right workflow software gives staff the ability to automate many tasks and processes, and Fluix offers user-friendly, code-free automation tools.
The best way to see how an enterprise can benefit from robust workflow software is to request a free trial of Fluix. Integrate this versatile workflow management application with other systems to automate repetitive processes and reduce delays. The right workflow management software facilitates communication and collaboration in any enterprise.