Disclaimer: This is a starter template provided for general informational purposes only. Before taking any actions based on using this template, we recommend you consult with the appropriate professionals.
A Risk Assessment Method Statement is an essential safety document for construction worksites. Find out what is RAMS in construction and why checklists are an effective way to observe safety best practices.
How To Make Method of Statement
A method statement breaks down hazardous activities into steps and describes risk reduction efforts in detail. This section of a RAMS sets forth control and management measures in response to a risk assessment. Each high-risk activity, such as working at height or using dangerous equipment, requires a method of statement.
The Layout of a RAMS Template
Most RAMS templates have a similar structure. The following sections often appear in a RAMS:
- Introduction to project: An introduction usually includes version details, the name of the person preparing the document and a method statement.
- Scope of work: The scope of work breaks down the program and methods into workflows with start and finish dates.
- Assessment of risks: A risk assessment identifies task and material-specific risks and control measures.
- Control measures: This section covers the need for monitoring, supervision or security, as well as worksite safety and personal protective equipment requirements.
- Emergency procedures: Protocols for emergency response and evacuation are accompanied by emergency contact information.
In the United Kingdom, assessing and managing risks with a RAMS is required for regulatory compliance with the Management of Health and Safety at Work 1999 and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health 2002.
A Useful RAMS Document Example
A RAMS is a combination of a risk assessment and a method statement. These documents describe specific hazardous tasks, assessing what the work entails and the risks involved.
Most RAMS examples originate in the construction field, an industry in which many tasks pose safety hazards. While the structure of a RAMS is simple, the scope of work section should go into extensive detail.
The Importance of RAMS in the Construction Industry
The information recorded in a RAMS is useful for construction firms and other high-risk fields. Here are a few reasons why a RAMS is crucial for building projects:
- External accountability: A RAMS proves that stakeholders have sought to minimize safety risks.
- Internal documentation: A RAMS provides safety information to contractors and workers.
- Training and compliance: RAMS and RAMS checklists can be used during site induction and throughout projects.
- Safety culture: The process of preparing and distributing a RAMS raises safety awareness.
A RAMS document can be used as the basis for a site induction checklist or a regular safety checklist in the field. Look for a universal RAMS template or samples for specific industries.
Find a Risk and Method Statement Template
Stakeholders may want to prepare a method statement and risk assessment separately and combine these closely related documents. Developing digitized checklists for regular distribution is an effective way to promote compliance.
Digitize Safety Documents for Construction
Workflow management software makes it easy to digitize a RAMS and implement risk prevention measures through checklists and safety meetings. Fluix workflow software facilitates the timely completion of RAMS checklists, keeps records for compliance and provides managed access to RAMS materials.