5.1. What is a Workflow?
What is a Workflow?
A workflow is a way to automate your document processes. Through workflows, users and groups can receive files on their iPads, annotate PDFs, fill out forms and digitally sign documents. All of these documents can be submitted automatically to the next step in the process.
A workflow is a template for repetitive work performed by your team members. The job of the Administrator is to model such a sequence of tasks to achieve a business goal, while Users only need to follow the configured processes. This separation allows everybody to focus on their core competence according to the role in a company and current workflow step, and automate the technical routine of in-between transitions.
In other words, the workflow itself is a collection of tasks and actions that have to be performed.
For example, below is the basic flowchart showing how your sales team can capture signatures on the contracts and send copies to the office and the customer:
In terms of workflow, it will look like a number of steps:
1. Your sales representative takes a form template from a specific folder on his iPad, fills it out, and emails it to a customer to sign.
2. After the customer signs the document, the sales representative sends the signed copy to your office:
Before you proceed with a workflow, here are the starting points to begin modeling your process:
- What is the business goal of the process?
- Do you know the precise flow of actions to achieve the goal?
- Who will work on each specific task?
- Can you organize users in groups to make workflows role-based?
- Do you offer users to select the cases to work on, or directly assign them?
- Who creates a piece of work in the first place?
- Do you have templates for all document types to be circulated?
- Where does your company currently store documents?
Do you know the answers to the above? Then you are ready to learn how to Create a Workflow in the next article. In case you need our assistance, feel free to contact your Customer Success manager our Fluix Support Team at email@example.com, we are always here to help!